Decay

12/29/09

...the look of it, the feel, is becoming a bigger influence in my work. I'm torn between thinking it's rather depressing and loving the surfaces. When the wood on the side of a barn cracks open from rain or bricks algae up or metal siding weeps with rust, isn't it just growing old gracefully, unashamed?


Substrate
Acrylic on Acrylic Sheet
9 x 9 inches
2009


I wasn't sure what to call this, but a word stuck with me today from a discussion of aquarium set-ups. When I looked it up, I thought all the definitions could apply to this piece.

sub•strate n. 1. The material or substance on which an enzyme acts. 2. A surface on which an organism grows or is attached. 3. An underlying layer; a substratum. 4. An indigenous language that contributes features to the language of an invading people who impose their language on the indigenous population.

No comments:

Post a Comment