Artomatic 2012 Favorites Part 1

5/19/12

I have to take it all in at Artomatic piecemeal. Here are my faves from the 2nd and 11th floors. There's a lot of gems throughout the building, and many small wonderful pieces very reasonably priced. If you're thinking about collecting, or want to add to your existing finds, this is a great place to spend a day (or two or three). In no particular order...

Joanna Knox Yoder - 11th floor, space 279 - Lush, haunting photos (wet-plate collodion tintypes) of family heirlooms. Loved how she wrote a story beneath pieces. From her Artomatic profile: "All of these photographs were taken in my attic studio where I have a small darkroom set up near my large format camera. It was important to me to photograph these in the attic because the series is about my family heritage." Her website lets you explore a few different series. Photography is usually very strong at Artomatic, so it will be tough to list all the talent in this medium.

Gail Vollrath - 11th floor, space 265 - As an abstract painter, I can be hard to please in this arena. Gail's paintings mixing tar and oil paint blew me away. I could've stood in front of her piece Tumble all night but she was there in her space and, well, I was feeling awkward staring at it for so long. I think for my overall final list I'll do a Top Ten Pieces I Would Buy If I Could. If so, Tumble is on it.

Huguette Roe - 11th floor, space 158 - Another photographer. Loved the Urban Exploration series. I'm a sucker for abandoned buildings and though so many photographers use them as subject matter these days, her sensitivity to cadence -- steel beam beside beam beside beam -- set her work apart.  From her Artomatic profile: "[Abandoned sites] have a soul and an imprint of their decay will keep some of their history in memory.... I grab the complex angles, graphic rhythms and patterns I can discern." If this is your kind of stuff, it's worth it to go through the whole portfolio of 200+ images.

Emily Piccirillo - 11th floor, space 129 -  I'd seen her cloud paintings tied to steel frames online but never in person. What a treat! Top notch handling of materials. I enjoyed the tension between the natural world and imposed structure, plus how the steel lifted the painting away from the wall. She had selected a room, not an open wall, and this really lets the viewer step into an experience.

Marty Ittner - 11th floor, space 104 - I saw quite a bit of engaging encaustic but Marty stands out thus far. Great presentation (loved her takeaway/biz card), and I'm a nut for text. Rich stuff here.

Dana Greaves - 2nd floor, space 161 - Wonderful portraits done in vibrant color with acrylic and charcoal on panel. Loved her use of line too. They drew me in and the surfaces didn't disappoint when I got close. She's another artist I'd like to buy from. My faves are Friend 11, Friend 1, and Friend 10.

J.L. Hussey - 2nd floor, space 122 - Bright and bold tributes to blues musicians. Love the attention given to the frames.

Stephen Boocks - 2nd floor, space 196 - Another cool artist on the 2nd floor, but I might be biased :)

Kudos also to Caitlin Phillips (11th floor, 366), Bob Elliott (11th floor, 357), and Bhaval Shah Bell (2nd floor, 100) for stellar presentation of their work.  Caitlin also has an etsy shop for her whimsical book purses, plus "Naughty Bits" pins made of phrases from trashy romances. Gotta love it!

There were a few others I wanted to write about, but couldn't find much in the way of a web presence. Don't forget to use the Artomatic catalog of artists benefit to at least upload some images and say a few things about yourself. Or take an afternoon and set up a quick/easy/free website like weebly offers. Artomatic is a great opportunity not just to show your work, but to make connections, so be sure to promote yourself effectively. You're in the mix with a lot of other artists, and many know how to market themselves, so let visitors leave with more than just memories of your work.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for including me on your list! ~Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Your work is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for noticing my work. Its means a lot! I am very impressed by your artwork as well.

    J.L. Hussey
    jlhusseyart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I really enjoyed your work. Thanks for your kind words about mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just see my name as well, thank you Lori!
    Huguette

    ReplyDelete